Disclaimer: This blog is in no way affiliated with, a part of, or derived from the United States Department of State and all its agencies and programs therein. The views and opinions of this author, as recorded here, are his own independent thoughts, and descriptions of his travels and experiences abroad are uniquely words of his own responsibility. That being said, enjoy!!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Visa Acquired!

Well, as late as it seems I finally have my Visa in hand today.  So I will be leaving this Thursday for Russia!  First I will fly to Frankfurt where I have an 8 hour lay over...but I hear there is a movie theater in the airport so that should help.  Then, luckily enough, there is a Frankfurt to Kazan direct flight, so I will be arriving at 2:50 am local time.  The very nice people in the international office at Kazan State Technological University will be meeting me at the airport to take me to my hotel where I will be staying for a few days while finding an apartment to live in.  So as you have just read I will be teaching English at KSTU in Kazan, Russia.  Kazan is a lovely city and the capital of the province Tatarstan.  It is about 550 miles east of Moscow and believe it or not, has a similar climate to the northern midwest!  So, this should not be too drastically different for me as far as winters go.  As for my teaching responsibilities, I am not yet sure of the exact class(es) I will be teaching or assisting in.  However, my hosts have mentioned that I might be teaching Business English for 3rd and 4th year students, or Academic English for masters and doctorate students.  Also I will be taking part in an English club that meets once or so a week!  That should be fun, especially around American holidays as an opportunity to share with some Russian students.  I will post more in the coming week as I learn more and have more to share once I arrive in Russia.  Also, please feel free to post questions you have for me I will answer them all as best I can!!  Looking forward to my trip and hope everyone is having a smooth end of the summer/beginning of the school year.

Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment