Disclaimer: This blog is in no way affiliated with, a part of, or derived from the United States Department of State and all its agencies and programs therein. The views and opinions of this author, as recorded here, are his own independent thoughts, and descriptions of his travels and experiences abroad are uniquely words of his own responsibility. That being said, enjoy!!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Eu Estou No Brasil!!!!

Well, it has certainly been a while since I have written here. Mostly because I was in Detroit, and since Detroit is like a "home base" I wasn't really traveling. As most of you (all of you, I hope) already know, I am currently in Brazil ('Brasil' is portuguese spelling, as shown in the title) with Fernanda! We are living in a lovely apartment in São Paulo. I must admit, I have lived in some large cities (Madrid, Kazan, Detroit...at one point...) but nothing compares to the NYC of the southern hemisphere! Truly immense. And lucky for me, unlike New York CIty, full of considerably happier people! Where to begin...

Firstly, for those of you that are reading this I would like to request that you forward it along to other family/friends/interested parties. I have changed the name of the blog/web address so I just want to be sure that everyone has the updated information!

After a lovely holiday and christmas in Detroit, I left for Brazil on the 27th of December. I left Detroit amidst snow and cold weather and arrived in São Paulo to sun and 80 degrees Fahrenheit! Although I hear that now it unseasonably warm back home - I am both happy for my mom, and also a bit disconcerted about the significance of this winter heat. We (Fê and I) left São Paulo the next day to travel to Tupã, the city she is from and where most of her family still lives. Every year her family, of about 40-50 on any given year, gathers at a family members house to bring in the new year. If you recall, I was fortunate enough to have attended these festivities last year as well! For a little context, here is a map! circled in red are both São Paulo and Tupã, both cities are in the state of São Paulo:


Tupã is a small city, about 60,000 people, compared to São Paulo's 11.2 million municipal residents!!  Shortly after New Years we returned to São Paulo. Fê got an amazing new job that she will be starting next Monday. There is a fantastic chef who owns a small number (8) of restaurants in the SP and immediately surrounding area. There are three different types of restaurants he and his wife run, for more information check out the wedsites: http://www.maremonti.com.br/site.html, http://trebicchieri.com.br/, http://www.gaiana.com.br/home.html
There are two main reasons I say this is an awesome job: firstly, Fê is her own boss. She was hired as the sole HR individual in charge of development and some hiring responsibilities for about 300 employees!! Secondly, if you have already visited the websites you may have guessed, these are VERY nice restaurants, and very well known within the city!
As for me, well I am technically on a Tourist Visa, which means I can not work/receive money. But this doesn't mean that I have to do nothing!! I am currently using my experience teaching English in Russia to volunteer with an English Teaching company that works with businesses in the SP area and I am also looking into internship opportunities with a few NGOs here in the city! This would be interesting work and a great experience! Lastly, I am finishing up my applications for graduate school this coming fall!

Ok, that is my quick update for now and I will connect with you all again soon, very soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment